Tagged by Forbes as “a business chat unicorn,” Intercom is the world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth.
Intercom’s first foray into automated lead routing was the result of a classic “build or buy” decision. “Build” briefly won the day with Intercom initially deploying a custom- built, consultant-maintained, software solution.
“The build decision was made prior to me joining the company and was probably appropriate at that time, but by the time I joined, the custom solution had outlived its usefulness and was causing more problems than it was solving,” explained Jeff Serlin, Head of Global Sales Operations.
"Switching to LeanData from our legacy custom solution has given us much more control over how we manage our sales leads, resulting in increased agility, lower costs and the ability to pinpoint what’s going on with our lead management processes. Intercom’s experience underscores that when it comes to ‘build versus buy,’ why would you not want to buy a packaged solution built around the problem you are trying to solve?”
– Jeff Serlin, Head of Global Sales Operations
- Changes to a custom-built, consultant maintained lead routing solution could take weeks to update and cost thousands to implement, lacking agility and compromising innovation.
- LeanData Routing was implemented and quickly everything in lacked in its legacy solution.
- Improved Agility: Changes in lead routing processes that used to take weeks are now completed within hours.
- Increased Innovation: Flexible lead routing drives increased innovation in Intercom’s sales processes.
- Significant Cost Savings: Eliminating outside lead management consultants has saved Intercom thoughts of dollars each month, while also slashing internal admin hours.